Cliff Barackman's Thoughts On The Kentucky Eye Shine Video


The Kentucky episode of Finding Bigfoot featured an amateur video from Fort Knox, Kentucky. The video was obtained by Charles Bowles using a Sony DCR-TRV480 camera on the night of June 14, 2008 purportedly showing eye-shine from a Bigfoot.

During their investigation, there were disagreements within the Finding Bigfoot crew about what the two glowing eyes in the footage could possibly be. Ranae stated that it could have been an owl while the Matt and Bobo suggested something bigger than an owl, possibly a "squatch".


A few days ago, Cliff Barackman finally posted his "Finding Bigfoot - Kentucky Field Notes". After talking with the witness and going to the site, Cliff had this to say:

What I found at the site was the video was obtained from the top of the ridge looking down the slope. There is a road at the bottom of the hill, but the two glowing eyes are not headlights, as some have suggested. They seem to be eyes, but it is unclear what those eyes belong to.
[...]
At the film site, I determined the tree next to the rock to be four inches in diameter. By counting some pixels on a still from the video, and using this horizontal measurement with a little basic algebra, it can be determined that the distance between the two eyes in the video is just under three inches. I used the centers of the two glowing eyes for this measurement. If I use the outside edges of the eyes, it only increases the distance to four and a quarter inches. I do not know the distance between the eyes of a sasquatch, but I would think that a nine foot bigfoot would have eyes a bit further apart than that. My own eyes (measured at the center of my pupils) are about 2.6 inches apart. I do not know how wide apart various owl species' eyes are, but I would be very interested to find out.

As I see it, in order for the video to show a bigfoot that is NOT standing on the rock, the creature would have to be well in excess of 12 feet tall. This is pretty much outside the range of all but the largest of size estimates by bigfoot witnesses. Since bigfoots of this size are either extremely rare, or their size estimates are exaggerated due to seeing conditions, distance, or fear, I see this possibility as most unlikely. If this video shows a bigfoot's eyes that is standing on that rock, then we run into the problem of why the rest of the body isn't visible in the film, when the tree at its side (and in the same film plane) is easily visible. It has been suggested to me that the bark of the tree is very reflective to infrared light, and sasquatches have somehow developed fur that absorbs these wavelengths, rendering them practically invisible in infrared illumination. I suppose this is possible, but I see it as pretty unlikely.

My conclusion on the film is that it probably does not show a bigfoot, though I could be wrong. I suspect that it shows the eye reflection of an owl sitting back on a branch that has broken off sometime in the three years between the filming and my on-site investigation. If I had more information about the distance between the eyes of owls, I would be a bit more sure in my assessment, but at this point, the sasquatch hypothesis seems less likely than other explanations.

But, of course, I could be wrong. That's part of the fun of doing these investigations. I get to find out what could be possible, what couldn't, and then come up with my own opinion on things. Sharing my conclusions is simply part of the process of the scientific method called "peer review." If new information comes to light about my conclusions which proves my conclusion to be incorrect, it doesn't make me a bad investigator or a stupid person. It makes for better science. Amateur science, I admit, but science nonetheless.

You can read the full "Finding Bigfoot - Kentucky Field Notes" by Cliff Barackman here.

Comments

  1. looked like 2 tin cans 2 me lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Cliff takes the time to explain his thought process and not just throw BS out there. Great evaluation.
    Bigfoots Broski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know what algebra he used because 3 inches looks much shorter the further away from the point of observation. I don't thing he included perspective in his model. He's also making an assumption that the source is near (just behind) the rock - it could be another 15 feet back. So what "looks" to be 3 inches might actually be 8 or more inches. And that's not just "man-math" Haha. :) Seriously, they should take measurements at various distances then plug them into a 3D modeling program. Not saying it's a Bigfoot or an owl, just inconclusive and needs more investigation into conditions.

      Dave from WA

      Delete
    2. Fyi...by simply saying "he's also making an assumption"...you just made the same assumption. Careful how tall you stack your soap boxes Dave from WA.

      Delete
  3. Of course it's no proof either way. Could be real, could be another hoax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...probably not a Sas. Good for Cliff. He is really a voice of reason in this madness of FB!

    This comment worries me a little:

    "Sharing my conclusions is simply part of the process of the scientific method called "peer review."

    Seems he has fallen to the whole disclaimer thing about "peer review". GAH! Wish that would go away but know it cannotl.

    JN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish Ranae would get her arse fired from the show. Maybe we could get a hot chick on the show instead. Maybe Autumn Forrest????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I wouldn't mind hanging out in autumns forest

      Delete
    2. As a fan of tall women and women who wear glasses, I think Ranae is plenty hot!

      Delete
  6. I noticed when they done the show that there was a lake in the background. Could be possibly boat lights? That would explain the distance between the so called eyes. ie; a light on each end of the boat...hmmm..Am I the only one who noticed this??
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While most people just like to post the "money shot" video showing conditions before and after would be helpful. It could be lights from the lake, although the narrator says at one point (in the original video - Google Kentucky eye shine - "That's definitely definitely not the lake, it just blinked." But the narrator could be wrong too. With what we are given, I'd think it is not the lake either only because the night sky seems fairly well lit and there would be surface reflection from the lake itself - it wouldn't be as dark as the surroundings. Plus lights from boats would also reflect off the lake and there is no diffuse pattern. The shine seems focused with fairly defined borders. But without a better sense of the conditions, your insight is no worse than any other explanation.

      Dave from WA

      Delete
  7. If there's a lake back there, then boat lights sounds totally logical. Either that or one or more land vehicles. Owl eyes certainly are not a logical answer, and neither is a sasquatch. Look at any owl photo and see how large the pupils are and how close together they are set. The same argument works for a sasquatch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My......If Moneymaker says it a "Squatch"....It's gotta be a "Squatch".

    Jesus Christ People!!!!! Take the ring out of your nose.
    If Sasquatch exists. It will never be captured by a 4 man film crew and BoBo, Cliff, Matt Moneytaker and Renea running around in the woods hollering and Whooping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish with all my heart that Sasquatches really exist. That these guys and the film crew go out and "call" one up and it comes in really pissed off and rips someone's arm off. All caught on tape.
      Maybe that would get these A##holes off the air.

      Oh!!!!did you hear that???IT'S A SQUATCH!!!!!

      Delete
    2. F--k you. one of these days a bigfoot will be caught. You will see how wrong you are sh-t 4 brains!!!

      Delete
  9. Not that it matters that much, but I believe this happend at Cave Run Lake, not Fort Knox - Charlie Raymond

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samurai Chatter: Have you used it in the field?

BREAKING: Finding Bigfoot Production Company Seeks Filming Permit In Virginia

Bigfoot injured by a forest fire was taken away and hidden by the authorities, not even Robert Lindsay can top this story