Scientists find over 200 new species in Southeast Asia, but still no Sasquatch, yet [Science]

Killed for food, an R. strykeri monkey is displayed in Myanmar in early 2010

A new monkey, a self-cloning skink, five carnivorous plants, and a unique leaf warbler are among the 208 species newly described by science in the Greater Mekong region in 2010 and highlighted in a new WWF report. Among the ten species highlighted in the WWF report is the snub-nosed monkey (Rhinopithecus strykeri). Found in Myanmar’s remote and mountainous Kachin state, locals say the monkey can be spotted with its head between its knees in wet weather to avoid rain running into its upturned nose.

A total of 145 plants, 28 reptiles, 25 fish, 7 amphibians, 2 mammals, and 1 bird were all discovered within the Greater Mekong region of Southeast Asia that spans Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and the south-western Chinese province of Yunnan.

The WWF warns the Greater Mekong’s valuable natural assets and species will continue to disappear without accelerated efforts to green the region’s economies. The extinction of the Javan rhino in Vietnam, recently confirmed by the WWF, is a tragic indicator of the decline of biodiversity in the region.

There have been many attempts over the years to put Bigfoot on the Endangered Species list. Todd Standing, one of the most out spoken advocates from Canada is currently seeking protection:

Recently, Mike Lake, a Canadian member of parliament from Edmonton, Alberta, agreed to introduce a petition that called for Bigfoot to be protected under the Canadian version of the endangered species act.

Lake presented to the House of Commons a petition that stated, “The debate over (Bigfoot’s) existence is moot in the circumstance of their tenuous hold on merely existing. Therefore, the petitioners request the House of Commons to establish immediate, comprehensive legislation to affect immediate protection of Bigfoot.”

The man behind the petition was a Bigfoot enthusiast named Todd Standing, who claims to have definitive proof of Bigfoot but is withholding it until protection for the alleged animals is in place. “When I get species protection for them nationwide, I will make my findings public and I will take this out of the realm of mythology. Bigfoot is real,” Standing said.

The petition soon became an embarrassment for Lake, who later issued a press release stating that the proposal had been tabled.

“I take seriously my responsibility to represent all of my constituents, regardless of whether or not I agree with their views. If a legitimate petition is brought forward by one of my constituents and deemed to be in order, I feel it is my duty to table it in the House,” Lake wrote. Lake also clarified that he never spoke in the House of Commons regarding the petition, nor did he endorse the existence of Bigfoot.

The fact that Bigfoot (or Sasquatch, as it is better known in Canada) have never been proven to exist is apparently not an issue for those who support such measures, nearly 500 of whom signed the petition. There is some precedent for the proposal: Similar quasi-legal measures protecting unknown creatures have been suggested or passed, for example protecting the Canadian monsters “Memphre” (of Quebec’s Lake Memphremagog) and “Caddy” (of British Columbia’s Cadboro Bay). “Champ,” the lake monster said to inhabit Lake Champlain, is “officially” protected by both the New York State Assembly and the Vermont Legislature.

Protecting endangered species is important for biodiversity, but protecting animals that may not even exist is putting the cart before the unicorn. No one has ever injured or killed a creature not known to exist; Bigfoot and lake monsters are no more in need of legal protection than are leprechauns or dragons. If the creatures are eventually discovered, scientists will do all they can to preserve and study the species. Until then, surely lawmakers have more important things to worry about.

[via www.bbc.co.uk via www.livescience.com]

Comments

  1. Todd says he has "proof"?
    But he won't share. How typical. Show the stuff in order to get the protection Todd.
    You really don't need to be rocket scientist to figure that one out.
    I wish people would quit using the words evidence and proof as if they mean the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the running theme of all researchers now. Talk a lot and Never show proof. To this day, no one has brought forth tangible scientific proof of Bigfoots existence. If Bigfoot exists, would it impossible for researchers to spend weeks or even months in their natural habitat not giving up until the species is found? I am sick of hearing about someone searching for Bigfoot for a couple days in the woods.

    How are we always on the closest verge of getting proof? How do you fellow posters deal with it year after year? Are you as crazy as the reports seem to be? How do you continue to care at all?

    As much as I have always supported the possibility of Bigfoots existence, at this point I am almost convinced that it's all a joke thanks to a constant stream of complete sabotage and buffoonery.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JB-I can only speak for myself regarding your concerns.
    I go out as often as I can to do research,but so far I've only found possible prints.I have next week off so I'm going back to this spot for further exploration and I may do an evening shift.
    I have a full time job and I'm guessing many amateur researchers do.It's what pays the bills and pays for cameras etc.
    IF I had a benefactor,of course I'd do it full time.I know that's not going to happen and I don't expect to.
    If your referring to the big names,then I would agree that a long term strategy would,or could be beneficial.
    I don't understand why people claim to have evidence but won't share it.......oh....yes I do.....it all seems to come down to who has the money for said evidence.
    Sorry, my cynical side is out today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We find we find in China Yaren real!!! You say much about this you get put on list. Name on list mean they come get you take you away to jail. Must be very quiet not to get name on list but tell so you can tell others.

    Chi Hun Xu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barack Obama's illegitimate son.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Finding Bigfoot Production Company Seeks Filming Permit In Virginia

Samurai Chatter: Have you used it in the field?

Bigfoot injured by a forest fire was taken away and hidden by the authorities, not even Robert Lindsay can top this story