The Grand Canyon Has A Wild Man (1903)


Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by Bigfoot Chicks, Melissa Adair. As serious researchers, the Bigfoot Chicks are committed to seeking the truth regarding the Bigfoot mystery. You can visit their blog at bigfootchicks.blogspot.com.

This is a fascinating account of a "wild man" that was observed for a length of time unnoticed. A full and detailed description is given of the creature's appearance and his behavior once he discovered he was being watched and the drama that unfolded thereafter.

The Arizona Republican
Phoenix, Arizona, Wednesday Morning, June 3, 1903
Grand Canyon Wild Man

An Additional Attraction Has Been Provided at the Great Gorge

The people of Arizona duly appreciate the fact that they have in the Grand Canyon the greatest attraction for tourists that the world affords, but they have silently mourned the absence of exciting features in connection with the wonderful gorge. Every little jim-crow seashore resort has its new serpent, but the Grand Canyon has been under a serious handicap in having nothing but its own scenery wherewith to thrill visitors. The shortage has been remedied, however. The Canyon has a wild man. We know it harbors a wild man, for the San Francisco Examiner is authority for the story, and the Examiner never lies - at least it does not always admit that it is lying. And, anyway, people are hard to please who insists upon an affidavit with each story that appears in the Sunday supplements of the yellow journa's. Our own citizens, who visit the Canyon this summer, should not fail to take along a camera for protection against the wild man. But here is the story:

Many strange stories have been told of the "wild man" of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado, and while some persons have credited these weird tales, they have for the most part been regarded as the ingenious inventions of imaginative travelers, and have passed into tradition as such. But according to I. W. Stevens of Cedar, CO, the "wild man" is not a myth and he gives a thrilling account of an encounter he had with the creature.

"Two years ago," says Mr. Stevens, "I had business in the northwestern part of Arizona that tool me in the neighborhood of the extreme lower end of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado river, in Mohave county, Arizona. Having the misfortune of getting my arm broken, I took a trip to the river to kill time and catch a few beaver. I constructed a s skiff, with the aid of a friend, and , when my arm got strong enough, I took a trip up the Canyon as far as I could go with a boat. A few miles above the entrance I hauled my boat upon the sand and got ready to examine the rock walls.

"The first thing that attracted my attention was the imprint of bare feet in the sand. Thinking the tracks had been made by some Indian perhaps a Piute or a Hualapi, I began looking the gorge over with much interest. Going down stream a short distance i found more tracks.

"The third day of my stay I saw the head of a man on a bench of rocks on the north side of the river. Evidently he was seated on the edge of a cliff some distance above my camp. I rowed up stream a little above the point where I saw the man's head and part of his shoulders above the greanewood brush. Climbing up to the bench I had some difficulty in finding a place that i could get over the ledge and be on a level with my strange neighbor.''

"I finally succeeded in approaching closer to the point. I saw sitting on a large boulder a man with long white hair and matted beard that reached to his knees. The creature was unaware of my approach and I gazed upon him for some moments unobserved. He was about fifty yards away and in full view. He wore no clothing, and upon his talon-like fingers were claws at least two inches long. A coat of gray hair nearly covered his body, with here and there a spot of dirty skin showing. i had found the wild man of the rocks!

"At that moment a rock loosened by some animal came rolling down. The creature turned his face toward me. Horrors. What a face - it was seared and burned brown by the sun with fiery green eyes. Brandishing this bludgeon, he shrieked and chattered for a moment, then started toward me, roaring and still flouring his weapon. Faster and aster he came and my hair began to stiffen.

"I am a poor runner, so I stood my ground. When the creature was within about fifteen yards of me I raise my rifle to fire, thinking to cripple him. As I glanced along the barrel I heard a growl just above the wild man. He also had heard the growl and braced himself for the shock.

"I drew a hasty bead on the cougar and pressed the trigger. When the smoke had cleared away the mother cougar lay dead where the wild man stood. The man himself had disappeared. The two young cougars were still on the rock, apparently greatly frightened by the report and echoes of my old Sharp's rifle.

"Reaching hastily for a cartridge, I found I had neglected to buckle on my belt when leaving camp, so I hastily retreated to the boat, where I found everything as I had left it. I shoved the boat off and drifted toward camp which was near the cougars. There lay the old cougar where he had fallen. The wild man was standing over the two cubs which also were dead, he having beat the life out of them with a club. He stood a moment gazing on the carcasses, then got down on hands and knees and drank warm blood as it flowed from the death woulds. The sight sickened me.

"I stood up in the boat and yelled. The man sprang to his feet, took a long look at me then fled up from ledge to ledge until he reached the fourth ledge, where he stopped. Here he flourished his club again and screamed the wildest, most unearthly screech i ever hear, then turned and sprang up the craggy wall of the canyon.

"Not fancying my wild neighbor, I packed my outfit into the boat and drifted down and out of the canyon before I made camp for the night. That was the strangest adventure of my life.

"Tradition records that years ago hostile Indians captured three men, bound them to logs far up the canyon and cast them adrift upon the swollen river. It may be that this wild creature is one of those unfortunate men who, by chance, freed himself and escaped death, but was made insane by his awful experience."

Comments

  1. George Hanson: Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU DUMB SLUT!! STOP POSTING THIS SHIT IT DOESNT DO SHIT YOU FUCKING WHORE!! CAN YOU NOT TELL THAT THESE ARE STORIES OF MENTALLY ILL!?!? ARE YOU SO BLINDED BY FAITH YOU IGNORE THE FACT THAT WHAT THEY DESCRIBE IS NOTHING LIKE A BIGFOOT?!?! FUCKING DUMB BROAD WASTING EVERYONES TIME!! THIS CHICK HAS A HAIRY TATERHOLE AND HER ASS LOOKS LIKE PATTYS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. These whores are seeking attention, we should all ignore the sluts.

      Delete
    2. Wow! You guys have serious issues with woman. I hope you are on a watch list.

      Delete
    3. Does your anger at women stem from impotence? Did your mommy sexually abuse you?

      Delete
    4. I reckon I like hair on my taterholes mmhmm.

      Delete
    5. I really don't care about your homosexuallality Carl. Being gay doesn't explain your anger at woman.

      Delete
    6. Love these stories. Thanks for posting them, please post more.

      And to the guy ranting: your clicking on the stories is what makes ad money for the site, and makes him post more like this. Just FYI.

      Delete
    7. Anyone who seems to be so preoccupied and focused on "taterholes" must have some issues. And you confirmed it.

      Delete
    8. @6:57 is a deranged individual who should be banned. The moderators silence is obviously acceptance and endorsement. Very sad the guests are treated like this.

      Delete
    9. Dummy,this isn't a Holiday Inn.

      Delete
    10. You sir, are a woman-hating pychopath and I take personal offense to your comments.

      Delete
    11. WOW..! I think I am on the HE-MAN Woman Haters Club blog site..Sometimes if you shut up, people won't know how stupid you are..Cyndi is right.

      Delete
    12. eat all of our taterholes!!!

      Delete
    13. Since Shawn won't do anything about this here's the link to the Blogger Content Policy. And links to report violations. This Content us definitely in violation.
      https://www.blogger.com/content.g?hl=en

      Delete
    14. I submitted reports on 2 of these post for hate speech.

      Delete
  3. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then stop going down on Melissa already. You know what I do in there.

      Delete
  4. I found the story fun and entertaining. Dumb-asses that comment with negativity just need to get the sand out of their vaginas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the comment about bringing a camera for protection from the wild man. That part was very illustrative in what I have been saying all along... these may be based on fact, but the newspapers are also embellishing and playing a one-upsmanship game with their fellow papers. You cannot take these at face value, but it doesn't mean the story is not worthwhile to look at as a bigfoot sighting. Anyone who thinks these are worthless should take a closer look at what passes for evidence in our present day reports, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask me this reads like fiction. I doubt these were ever in any newspaper. Going to do some research and I will get back with that.

      Delete
  6. I hope bigfoot found a safe place to hide from storm Sandy. Maybe the bigfoot chicks should do a story on that instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bigfoot in the grand canyon? Yeah ok real good concealment there, what, does bigfoot take a big shit and hide behind it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know much about the Grand Canyon.

      Delete
  8. They seek the truth, those serious research chicks. They seek the truth in old newspaper articles. All the time, relentlessly seeking the truth. Forging, fighting, grappling to find the truth. Tirelessly seeking the truth, no rest, no sleep. Looking and searching. But the ultimate irony - those that seek the truth are confronted only with questions. Much better for us all if you go to some far distant place (away from all human life and no internet connection) and dedicate yourself to seeking the truth. Either that, or just stop posting your shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what content do you want?...obvious fakes, animal related videos, nature videos, stories about Tim Fasano or Rick Dyer?

      I have said it before, there is absolutely no need to have this blog updated daily if you want "fresh news" because there isn't enough.

      Delete
    2. Likes to sniff dogs taterholes.^

      Delete
    3. As for content ide like to see footage of the squatch running around the woods with one of the bigfoot chicks taterholes skewered onto the big guys love donk : ) now thats entertainment..

      Delete
  9. I don't think I can take anymore of this serious research please bring back the trivial kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is only one way to discuss this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! You some sort of professional? Nice message. Can you inform me
    the right way to subscribe your weblog?

    My homepage; pregnant working

    ReplyDelete
  12. your blog Provides things are helps me to find my detail. your blog is very good for me please keep it up.I like it
    Visit :- Yung Dumb Sluts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Finding Bigfoot Production Company Seeks Filming Permit In Virginia

Samurai Chatter: Have you used it in the field?

Bigfoot injured by a forest fire was taken away and hidden by the authorities, not even Robert Lindsay can top this story