Exclusive: A Message Regarding The "Body Recovery" Effort At Sierra Kills Site By Bart Cutino

Bart Cutino (right)

Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by A-BFRO Researcher, Bart Cutino. Cutino, 35, is an unabashed, unapologetic member of The Bigfoot Research Organization, a diverse group of about 200 researchers and adventurers. He was a participant at the Sierra Kills body recovery effort in July 2011.

Last night while taking a break driving southbound from some winter northern California research areas with my partner Rgr Leiterman, I happened to see both Lindsay's “interview” with Justin Smeja and the ridiculous accusations & exchange posted with Dr. Meldrum. Having been an invited participant during the body recovery effort in July 2011 & having become the closest confidant and liason (if you will) from the bigfoot community to those involved in the shooting incident, I thought I’d clarify some of the rampant speculation and sensationalized comments.

Regarding the body search effort orchestrated by my good friend Derek Randles-

-Bobo and myself had been invited by Derek to attend the recovery effort a week prior as Bo and I were returning from the NorCal woods together and I can tell you from my participation in the search & my observations over the course of those three days that every word-phrase Meldrum took the time to highlight in red as erroneous from Lindsay’s “source” is 100% correctly “erroneous.”

-First off, Matt Moneymaker, who everyone knows is one of my closest friends in and out of the field for many years, was absolutely not at the recovery effort and was only told there was an outing by me (with very little information) a few days after my return home.

-As addressed, the dog handler visited the site on the third morning and was a very pleasant and professional woman. The dog handler was not looking for credit in discovery as she even declined to to be filmed or photographed with respect to the subject matter. The dog is trained strictly to detect human decomposition (a substantial & lengthy training process) and cannot be manipulated into successfully matching scents from a foreign, unfamiliar tissue sample as it could potentially ruin the dog's career.

-I haven't had a chance to talk with Jeff since last July at the site but I will tell you that the suggestion that any respected Associate Professor of Anatomy would make such a bold & presumptuous statement (regardless of his association of subject) without having an opportunity to perform appropriate scientific diligence is ridiculous. He made no such claim and I retrieved the sample for both Meldrum and Mioczynski to initially examine, in which they did using limited magnification that was available. Meldrum admittedly did have some preliminary reservations regarding hair morphology characteristics seen that he shared with all of us and I discussed personally with him at the site over the three days. I’m unaware if he was provided a sliver sample and or he’s personally done any further examinations.

Regarding Lindsay’s interview with Justin, you know immediately when you see a written interview of someone you know fairly well and it's obviously sensationalized, biased and paraphrased. That's usually when you can't see the written responses coming from the interviewee's mouth any longer and it only took about two questions of Lindsay's "interview" with Justin to see that from my perspective. Without even having an opportunity to talk to Justin until this morning, I can tell you there are countless mistruths, false facts and exaggerations to mention, but the DFG (Department of Fish and Game) story is worthy of some clarification.

Regarding the DFG's visit to Justin's house a couple of weeks prior to Christmas, Justin had contacted me extremely unnerved a few days before I was planning to head up to pick him up to place Reconyx cams in the northern Sierra foothills (nowhere near "kills" site). The unannounced visit by two officer's from the DFG was understandably "spooky" considering it was mid-day, they were persistent and very nonchalant in regards to how they verbally approached the subject matter.

Although impersonating an officer was an unlikely scenario as it's a serious offense in CA, and conspiracy theorists could scream “feds” all day, the real world scenario in my opinion was that it was in fact DFG and they were finally following up on several calls (likely made by internet bigfooters) about the incident and also were concerned more about a potential bear poaching relationship with this incident then animals they've likely determined do not exist.

The first thing we wanted to do was confirm it was in fact DFG and then we collectively decided it would be appropriate and in Justin's & everyone else’s best interests to grant a formal & truthful interview "in office" potentially with an attorney present & officially get the events of that day on record. To Justin's credit, he was absolutely ready & willing to go on record and although there's not much to fear since there’s no precedent where someone was retroactively charged with killing a species that isn't currently "recognized" by science, nor federal or state hunting laws, it’s not always easy by nature for lifelong fisherman & hunters to comply & cooperate with F&G when you’ve perceived them as authoritative eyes on your preferred recreational activities your whole life.

On our way up the I80 towards Reno I coached Justin on what to say when we contacted the DFG by cell phone and my advice consisted of him being 100% truthful, cooperative & professional in manner and language and not get caught in lengthy discussion of incident particulars over the phone (in person only). He left a message with the warden from my vehicle and was not contacted back for almost 36 hrs. By that time I had dropped Justin back off and I was already back home in Monterey (we only went into the field for one quick night). Justin was essentially told that his case wasn’t a priority and that they would contact him should they need to revisit it.

Over time, I've gotten to know both Justin and the driver personally & casually, as well as their immediate families. Although I wasn’t with them on that day, I'm fairly confident that they are being truthful to the best of their recollection of the incident and feel that anybody in my shoes would come to the same conclusion if they’ve spent the time I have around them.

However, as I’ve stated previously, it doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks, at the end of the day, we’re measured by results (in this case evidence). The boys understand that should the promised DNA results not be what they’re purported to be, then their incident is nothing more then an intriguing but anecdotal account. From the beginning, both have claimed that the sample they found was circumstantial in nature and with some significant time lapsed and I can tell you that both just want the sample verified one way or another and don’t fear the results. They’ve understandably believed by color appearance (with adult) location & circumstance there’s a good chance it’s from the specimen initially shot, but admittedly have never been 100% certain. (sorry- I assure you, no hidden bodies being kept or suppressed by my good friend Wally Hersom).

For what it’s worth, personally, I've never been as confident in the sample due to the circumstantial nature and timing in which it was recovered coupled with the concerns Meldrum initially shared from his admittedly “limited observation” of present hair morphology characteristics. I'd be lying if I said that I was optimistic about what results will show in the heavily anticipated "study." I don't mean that as a personal knock on Melba, nor let me make clear am I privy to or have any secret insight into potential results to be pessimistic about. I just personally live by "I'll believe it when I see it" & "it's nothing, until it's something" philosophies, particularly in this field and all I've seen thus far are speculative leaks, bold claims & conjecture. I would love nothing more to be pleasantly surprised for all parties involved (whom I have the utmost respect for & know just want the truth) as well as the field as a whole.

I've also received some emails from people wondering how if I believe the "Sierra Kills" story is true I could be involved in protecting those directly responsible for the shooting & endorse the killing of two sasquatches. I have a similar response as my friend Derek Randles (I consider one of the best natural woodsman and researchers in the game) that as a researcher & personal witness, the thought of two of these graceful animals being slaughtered sickens me to no end and I would never endorse the harming of these animals under any circumstance.... though wasting this opportunity and the enormity of what it could mean from a historical zoological discovery perspective (I cannot go back in time to change if I wanted to).... would make me even sicker.

In getting to know Justin personally I’ve also come to understand that it’s easy for us that are emotionally invested in this subject matter to sit here, judge and arrogantly proclaim what we’d do or not do in the same situation. A matter of fact, I’ve never told him this but one of the only reasons I refrained from possibly taking a shot at him (other then an unneeded assault charge) when I first saw him was that I didn’t believe him..... “yet.”

I’ve come to realize that maybe I would’ve done something stupid or regretful had I been confronted with a completely unexpected & immediate, frightening physical reality they both found themselves in. In addition, from an accepted biological perspective, what “they” are exactly remains to be seen and we could all argue about it all we want as it means nothing in the interim.

At the end of the day, I believe Justin should be judged by his actions that day not on how you and I as researcher/ enthusiasts (emotionally invested and interested parties & even some of us, witnesess) see & perceive sasquatches, but in how they appeared from “his” perspective initially, appearing suddenly, fully hirsute, somewhat frightening in appearance and potentially unpredictable.... “animals.”

Bart Cutino
CA-BFRO/AIBR

Comments

  1. I'm gonna be honest. At this point--everyone is a liar. I will wait it out. Their stories are entertaining, but they should know that when the truth does come to light, their view of things, if it was horribly off, will make their judgment in the future always questionable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at this. We should anticipate the results of the DNA study soon. These recent events have been a distraction that's not needed in this community. I just hope that a larger audience doesn't view this as being representative of the entire community.

      Delete
  2. Nothing will ever come from Smeja's misadventure, because he is trying to sell a book, period. Nothing will come from Monkeymaker or the BFRO, because their focus is on a show that makes money. Nothing will be revealed by Ketchum, because the more samples/testing occur, the more money she makes. Nothing will come from Meldrum, because he has tenure and already has a great career. This guy lives in Monterray and has time to kill "investigating" Sasquatch.....my guess? He has money. From Patterson to Sprinkle, Gimlin to Bobo, there is a common theme here.
    Guys like Jimmy Chilcutt, Meldrum and Scott Nelson are the closest thing to "believable", but once again what have hundreds of years and reports taught us? There is a sucker born every minute...and most of them read this board. PROVE SOMETHING SOMEONE! And get Monkeymaker and Bobo back in the trailer, their idiotic screams in the late night only prove their lack of basic Biology understanding and sensationalistic tendencies to SELL TV!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bart seems honest to me and seems to have given a true account based on his experience. I'm done with this mess though after the past few days craziness. I'm headed back out in the woods where I've been for years. I KNOW they are there and that used to be enough; now suddenly it is again. I fear that if any of this is true then it only means a tragedy is looming for these gentle (if you don't misbehave in their home that is...) wise old forest dwellers. If the public gets their eyes opened they will ruin the sas's eden. Just look at our "apex" species' example lately for a preview of what's to come. We have been blessed by the Creator with the run of this place and we would rather hurt, curse, antagonize our neighbors instead of loving each other. It's been obvious to me who the real apex inhabitants are for a long time.
    Peace. Hank D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not test the blood on Justin's clothes? That will prove once and for all if he's telling the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need the REAL Bigfoot hunter to bring the truth out. Where is Tom Biscardi???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am struck that the argument centers over what was the reaction of Dr. Meldrum. That makes no sense, many people react initially to uncertain things and then can change their minds. So that can't be what this is all about can it?
    Is it more about just a public pissing contest, you're a liar, no you are?
    Maybe, huh? Because this guy is telling us the sample may or may not be anything. He did say Meldrum went, but couldn't say if Meldrum took a sample or tested further and he was to busy to follow up with Meldrum for a year.
    Autumn above, I agree, everyone is self-serving at some level, but i do appreciate Shawn getting a guest post from a "player." Hope to see more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is erroneous. It states that the interview with Smeja contains numerous errors, falsehoods and sensationalisms and that I put words into his mouth.

    The interview was a cooperative effort, and my understanding is that Justin has read the interview and agrees that it is accurate. He did ask me to remove a few sentences where he discussed confidential information about Ketchum's DNA study. Ketchum called him up on the phone that morning screaming and yelling that she was going to sue him, sue me, sue everyone. So we had to remove a few items to mollify her.

    The interview is correct. I stand by it, and as far as I can tell, so does Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To my previous point, the blood on Justin's clothes is not circumstantial evidence. It's either from a Sasquatch or it isn't. It should be tested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, the Legendary Tom Biscardi is the only Bigfoot Researcher qualified enough to work on something like this. This group of yahoo's couldn't solve a crossword puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lindsay - you're well known for getting the facts wrong and over sensationalizing claims. I heard you on Tom Biscardi's radio show (Wednesday nights at 7pm pst) and Tom came across as a much more knowledgeable and truthful researcher than you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So really, the only thing inaccurate about RL's blog, seems to be Meldrums reaction to the flesh sample, and who brought the cadaver dog!...What I get from these past couple of crazy days, is that Dr. Ketchum's paper has been peer reviewed, and is awaiting a publication date!..Everyone has waited a long time for some kind of definative answers about BF. Why not wait a little while longer, before all the this talk about who's a liar and who's not!!!..My hope is, that Dr. K has a legit paper, and we'll see it soon!(maybe even some HD footage, to go along with it!).....Ken

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed, none of these people involved here hold a candle to the Real Bigfoot Hunter TOM BISCARDI! It's a well known fact that Biscardi himself jump-started this whole DNA Project by not only lending his exceptional expertise, but also by being in charge of transporting the tissue samples. Everything looked promising until Biscardi left the project due to the group's flawed methods and incompetence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robert. Nobody cares what you think anymore. So many people have come out against you the last few days that any credibility you did have is now gone.

    Shaun, uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can we just go back to crazy videos and Russians catching Bigfoot and get away from this drama. To be honest everyone is full of crap in this industry until the can provide levity evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time to close up shop Lindsay. Your sources are obviously crap and out to paint Meldrum badly just as you are since you think you know more about the subject than anyone else.

    The Bigfoot Community doesn't need you so perhaps its time you bugged out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BUSTED!! Say goodbye to your credibility Robert Lindsay. I never trusted him in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok who the #### cares about Tom Biscardi? Wasn't he banished from the Bigfoot world years ago?

    Anyway...
    Meldrum > Robert Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ken, so well said just want your comment for mine,

    "So really, the only thing inaccurate about RL's blog, seems to be Meldrums reaction to the flesh sample, and who brought the cadaver dog!...What I get from these past couple of crazy days, is that Dr. Ketchum's paper has been peer reviewed, and is awaiting a publication date!..Everyone has waited a long time for some kind of definative answers about BF. Why not wait a little while longer, before all the this talk about who's a liar and who's not!!!..My hope is, that Dr. K has a legit paper, and we'll see it soon!(maybe even some HD footage, to go along with it!).....Ken"

    ReplyDelete
  19. That comment shows what little you know. Tom Biscardi is the sole expert responsible for making Bigfoot famous around the world. He pioneered every modern Bigfooting technique such as tree-knocking and also proving it is a nocturnal creature. Because of his coveted status, newcomers take advantage of his people-loving personality and set him up as the fall guy in hoaxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For anyone that dos 't know TJ is Tom's son a little bias if you ask me

      Bon

      Delete
  20. What the hell does DFG stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  21. DFG = California Department of Fish and Game

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting in that Derek R has been intimating all along that the DNA typing on the tissue will vilify this whole story.
    Bart not so much and they are close friend....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha busted! That explains the links to BS-cardi's dvd store. They must really be getting desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How can Biscardi still think he has any credibility whatsoever in the Bigfoot world? I cannot believe he has not been sued into oblivion. I can name at least 11 hoaxes he's been heavily involved in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name them I need to compare them to my list, it would be halpful.

      Delete
  25. B BROSKI Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brosky-I swear I should just write "ditto" beneath your entries. You are brilliant! Haha. Yes, more Russian Bigfoot captures. I want to see them reuse that gorilla suit and get their money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok whatever, where's your evidence? Do you really think Tom Biscardi and his son would waste their time on here talking to bottom-feeders when they are out in the field doing REAL RESEARCH???

    ReplyDelete
  28. He has a son that goes out with his "team" he is posting positive Views about BS carti , it's a straight line to the conclusion.

    Let see wasn't it your Daddy that said " I touched it, smelled it, tasted it " on national television, stop demanding evidence when your daddy wouldn't know it if it bit him in the ass.

    Epic fail on your part Loser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BS.carti the next generation BUSTED just like his "Daddy"

      Agree Epic Fail

      Bon

      Delete
  29. My head hurts from all of this.
    Tomorrow I'm taking my cameras and heading for the woods where it's quiet.
    Mr. Cutino seems forthright with his post and Robert is sticking to his guns.
    I take it all with a handful of tylenol and some beer....I mean a grain of salt,yeah,that's it.
    All I can do is shake my head.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need a picture taken next to Tyler Bounds, too - makes every man handsome by comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  31. BFRO

    "Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization"

    BFRO

    What the hell is so difficult?!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'll post the same question here and it will be avoided so as not to own up to anything. my question is why did everyone wait 6 + months to search for the carcasses. Smeja stated that he waited 3 weeks before he broke the news and was immediately put in touch with Randalls, now why didnt they go out as soon as randalls was in the know? It's been stated Randalls is a seasoned researcher and he would know that two bodies would be the best proof ever. Yet they waitedsix months or so can't remember exact time but close enough. People are lost in snow/avalanches all the time and cadaver dogs can work in snow, hell they find people buried alive so don't use the excuse there was snow 2 ft of snow on the ground. Things just sound a little fishy with the story because a lot of other people would have gone out there immediately to find the proof of the century. Digging in the snow with bare hands if need be. Everyone is focusing on the trivial stuff and not the real JOURNALISTIC questions.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What does Tom Biscardi have to do with this or any other article posted here lately?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good queastion ask TJ he brought it into play when he tried to talk us into believing in TB.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely nothing! Sasquaination, you have great weekend! Sounds like what I need! I think I will be beering in the hot tub tonite. Be safe on your outing, and when the opportunity arises and you come across a sasquatch, and you take some pictures, don't forget to hold your beer up in the shot! Hahahahah Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So who is heck is Tom Biscardi?

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Beer-Man-Thanks!
    I picked up another camera yesterday with a telephoto lens.Looking at another lens to go with it.
    I'll be out there but without beer.Fish & Wildlife kinda frown upon that,lol.
    Working a video camera and trying to get still photos is tough,plus keeping an eye out for critters.
    Maybe I'll bring a frosty beverage as a gift;)
    Gotta check on that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. anon at 641. no ones avoiding your question. its just a lengthy answer. i bet if you wrote justin and asked him he would tell you something like what i will now. sense i was there i'll chime in.

    shooting happened at aprox early october story didnt get to derek till about 2-3 weeks later. then flesh sample was covered about early nov. when derek first heard about it derek urged justin to go up there justin took his time not wanting to return to the sierras. justin didnt send flesh sample till mid nov. About that same time derek had spent enough time investigating to know it was more then just another story and it was not a hoax. So when derek very first heard of the story you are correct he didnt jump to spend a couple grand of his own money and just drive up there, actaully he tried to but justin told him he felt uncomfortable with the idea of someone driving that far for what they might or might not find and didnt want to take him to where it happened then he kept telling him he would drive up there first chance he got and he ended up putting it off for several days. He wanted to do some research and spend more time talking to justin to get a feel for whether or not he believed him.

    By that time it was nov 20ith or so derek planned a trip to come to northern cal but by that weekend or the next there was more like 5-7 feet of snow on the ground.

    access would be expensive. no way of getting in there, the highway up there even gets closed off and is seasonal. rental of snow mobiles digging equitment ect. no one had the money to spend on a wim that maybe they would find something KNOWING likely nothing would be found sense there was so much snow on the ground.

    As far as your comment about the cadaver dogs as bart addressed in this very article if you read it. Its not that simple. Cadaver dogs find dead humans. thats it. No dead bigfoot training at the academy. if a dog was to alert to anything but a dead person that dogs working life would be over and the handlers reputation damaged.

    Fast forward 2-3 weeks there was 8+ feet of snow on the ground that remained there at various levels but never went under 3 plus feet till mid july. The group got in there literally the same day enough snow had dried to get a vehicles in there.

    ALL SPRING/SUMMER till mid july efforts were made to get to the kill site and search almost every week somebody went up there. Vehicle access just wasnt possible.

    ReplyDelete
  39. New camera and lenses! How exciting! love new toys. Looking forward to hearing the results from your outing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. @Beer-Man-Actually it's only new to me.I can only afford used,but try to get quality.After talking to some family who are photographers,I'm going to try film for the distance shots.Digital is good for close range and IF I get something in frame,I don't want it to be blobsquatch.
    Sorry for the off topic.

    Hopefully time will tell who has been truthful and who has not with regards to the topic at hand.
    I don't know any of the players personally,I've never talked to them and I've never seen their eyes when they speak.
    One day the truthful ones will be vindicated and the liars will fade away.
    If I've learned anything in this community it's this: once you are caught lying or hoaxing,you will never redeem yourself...ever.
    And that's the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  41. First of all, most of that stuff in that list really happened. Tom has been doing this for 40 Years. It's easy to be an armchair detective and scream hoax. How many of you have encountered a Bigfoot face to face?? None, so how can you even guess what one really looks like? Let alone have the credentials to properly identify one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the differance between flesh and blood and rubber and plastic, careful your lack of credentials is showing.

      Give it up TJ your a No GO.

      Bon

      Delete
  42. Anon. at 7:37 Thank you very much for answering my question. Just wanted a little more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  43. TJ its a real shame how your own father is lying to you.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hey tj i got some ocean front property in Arizona from my front porch you can see the sea. If you buy it I'll through the golden gate in free

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ok I guarantee you will be the same first ones in line when Bigfoot Lives 3 is released. That's the only way you get to see a real Bigfoot thru Tom Biscardi's table scraps, you idiots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said your NoGO Dropped form Roster.

      Boy your to stupid to slow and out of shit wipe!

      It's sad you would make a better stable boy than a REAL man you sure have the shoveling shit down pat.

      Delete
  46. I agree. Only a very small minority dislike Tom Biscardi. Without him, nobody would know about Bigfoot and the internet wouldn't have such things as streaming video & Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  47. So you're saying Tom Biscardi is also behind Facebook and steaming video? WTF?!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ya biscardis a pretty stand up guy. And spoons made my wife fat

    ReplyDelete
  49. He might not get the creator credit for it, but Biscardi laid the foundation down for the development of such social media projects.

    ReplyDelete
  50. No one involved with studying this topic should be referred to as a "researcher." That implies a body of existing work/evidence that can be mined for information.

    "Investigator" would be more accurate, and that's probably being very generous. "Enthusiast" would be preferable. Or "yahoo."

    ...and spare me the Wiktionary definitions.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Holy s@#t... I can't take any more of this. I'll just wait hopelessly for an article in the NY Times telling me where the study is published... or for the NDA's to expire, so somebody who was involved can say ANYTHING about ANYTHING. This is getting nowhere...
    Shawn, keep posting it all. I'll just skip what I need to skip. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  52. All of the infighting, politics, name-calling, mud-slinging and accusations have gotten out of hand. How about everyone take a deep breath and resolve to be courteous. No one knows anything for sure, and until we do it only makes us all look bad to behave so egregiously.

    ReplyDelete
  53. My goodness, somebody get these BFRO bafoons off the case. I can't believe they're still using the term animal about Sasquatches when it so obivously isn't that, do animals raise their hands like that fucking creep Smeja's victims? The guy shot and killed a wild woman and her wild child in cold blood, how can he live with that? If that's indeed what happened, or if this whole damn thing happened at all. But I think I know who the animals are, sure as hell ain't the Bigfoots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Finding Bigfoot Production Company Seeks Filming Permit In Virginia

Samurai Chatter: Have you used it in the field?

Bigfoot injured by a forest fire was taken away and hidden by the authorities, not even Robert Lindsay can top this story