Standard-Examiner: "Weekly World News editors seemingly stole my story"


You know you've hit the big time when a tabloid newspaper picked up your story and made it their own. Mark Saal of the Standard-Examiner broke the story regarding the discovery of supposed fossilized Bigfoot skull -- which is really a rock. According to Saal, the Weekly World News (a tabloid newspaper) straight-up plagiarized his Bigfoot story. He cites a paragraph as proof of this:

Weekly World News story: “I was looking for some fossils,” the 69-year-old “semi-retired” anthropologist told WWN, “and I was kind of drawn to something in the ground.” It was a rock, sticking up out of the dirt. “So I went and dug it out, and you couldn’t tell what it was ’cause the head was face down; all you could see was the back of it,” he said. “But when I dug it out you could see the face, perfect.”

Standard-Examiner story: “I was looking for some fossils,” the 49-year-old “semi-retired” private investigator explains, “and I was kind of drawn to something in the ground.” It was a rock, sticking up out of the dirt. “So I went and dug it out, and ...” Well, you get the idea.


What's also sad about this story is that some of Saal's readers aren't being sympathetic about it at all. Standard-Examiner reader fieldingbandolier was surprised that the "fossilized Bigfoot skull" story was even published on the Standard-Examiner:


fieldingbandolier:
Having your story stolen by the Weekly World News is an unflattering indication of the quality of the story stolen. I'm surprised you'd highlight it. Of course, I was also surprised you'd publish the ridiculous "fossilized Bigfoot skull" story. Will you be reporting on the discovery of a tragic bat-child found in a local cave next week?

Saal's response:
Hi fieldingbandolier.

Thanks for the comment, as I believe this is an important discussion to have. I'm happy to have surprised you with both the story and the column. Surprise is good. But I'll see your "surprised," and raise you a "shocked."

I'm shocked by the sheer hubris with which folks try to tell me which are the important stories to tell in this world. I believe Todd May to be a sincere individual who honestly believes he found a fossilized Bigfoot skull. And while I didn't, even for a second, believe that it was Bigfoot, I did and do believe that it was and is a good story to tell. You can argue that I botched the telling of it -- which some folks have already done -- and that's fair enough; you may or may not be right. But I am of the opinion that only small-minded folk who believe in Journalism with a capital "J" would say this is not a story worth telling. And please spare me the "crazy" talk. Todd May is no more crazy than someone who believes in a God who created the universe -- or, I might add, those who have already made up their mind that such a being is completely out of the question.

The thing I love about writing -- about journalism with a lowercase "j" -- is telling folks' interesting stories. And if I had my druthers, I'd spend the rest of my career telling such stories. It certainly beats the stuffings out of writing about duplicitous politicians who say one thing and do another, or money-grasping business types whose primary passion in life seems to be chasing the almighty dollar.

Sorry, but I'll take the Todd Mays of the world every time.

Thanks for reading,
Mark

[via www.standard.net]

Comments

  1. Ways to identify a footer:
    1. Fat
    2. Lives with parents
    3. Uses the word "skeptard"
    4. Cuts down people with mom references. (obviously the cut downs are as old as the PGF man in a suit film)
    5. Doesn't realize there is no such thing as a magic monkey running around in the woods of North America
    6. Can barely hold a job
    7. Secretly reads Rick Dyer's site
    8. Masturbates to Melba's Possum DNA paper
    9. Tries to first on blog, like a retarded five year old
    10. Is just a plain moron for still trying to find something as relevant to existence as the tooth fairy
    11. Doesn't realize that there are HD cameras today and the pictures they analyze are intentionally blurry because they are fake.
    12. Dumb as a box of rocks
    13. Might say this is too much reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it took you all day to come up with that.

      Delete
    2. This is the truth. Suck it footers.

      Delete
    3. Your mom identified my footer last night

      Delete
    4. Magic monkey in my pants
      and it does a funny dance
      when it comes into the room
      people hit it with a broom

      Delete
    5. 14. couldn't care less what whinny bitches with penis envy have to say about them

      Delete
    6. My taterhole alarm is going off like a buck during rutting season

      Delete
    7. Ed Smith you have a vagina don't you because i smell tuna

      Delete
    8. Ed did you just grab my ass

      Delete
    9. ed is curiously obsessed with footers

      Delete
    10. When you're workin' on your mysterious lady parts and stuff, you should have the right tools too. That's why you should use... MayPax. The official tampon of NASCAR.

      Delete
    11. Ways to identify a skeptic:
      1. Scared
      2. Scared
      3. Scared
      4. Scared
      5. Scared
      6. Scared
      7. Scared
      8. Scared
      9. Scared
      10. Scared
      11. Scared
      12. Excuses
      13. Stupid

      ... I gotta say that post was genuinely really funny.

      Peace.
      Joe.

      Delete
    12. YOO SHOES THEEM GUD JOE,YOO SMAART,THEEY EEGNORINT

      Delete
    13. Sceptics are on here way more than Footers so apparently they must have the profile backwards. I'm married , full time job, Workout 3 times a week. Hunt , kids, kayak, drive a kick ass truck, good looking wife, golf, volunteer, and go footing 5-6 times a year after seeing one so I don't care your opinion ED ( Village Idiot posing again as a new person). You must be one fat bastard because your on here all day long writing crap and ripping on Footers to make your lame ass feel better about yourself!

      Delete
    14. YOO WIIF VAGINA GUD,YOO GUD,CUMM FOOREST BRIING VAGINA GUD WIIF,TRAAD YOO GAERLICS,THEEM GUD,NUT VAGINA GUD

      Delete
    15. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Great stuff Anon 5:28! You need to at least suggest a means of referring to you by initials on this blog, you crease me every time and speak the truth sir!!
      Peace.
      Joe.

      Delete
  2. This one's the real deal folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guy just found one of Poop In A Jar Guys petrified turd masses.Kinda like when Joe Dirt found that meteor turd.I bet he eats off of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a bunch of losers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is a fossil you dumbfuck? It's a rock. You need to go back to school and learn something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING: Finding Bigfoot Production Company Seeks Filming Permit In Virginia

Samurai Chatter: Have you used it in the field?

Bigfoot injured by a forest fire was taken away and hidden by the authorities, not even Robert Lindsay can top this story